Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Concerning Hobbits

I was cooking in the kitchen just now, and I was crying for the fourth time today, over nothing in particular. I'm not homesick, I'm not over-stressed, and nothing bad has happened. I'm just in a serious funk, mostly over feeling so isolated, and because French people don't believe in ceiling lights in bedrooms, so when I'm in my room, I feel like a recluse.

I was weepy because I wanted to be with my best friends, I wanted a Sarah Sanders hug, I wanted to see my Mom and Dad, I wanted Zachary to not be so far away, I wanted to talk about faith issues with another (English speaking) Christian girl, and I wanted to not feel the next 3 months looming over me like a dark mountain.

About partway through my snuffles and a dirty omelet pan, my ears picked up this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pGaz_qN0cw
or at least what sounded like that... my favorite tune from Lord of the Rings,

and suddenly, the world was brighter. France is an adventure, I have to remind myself, and it's once in a lifetime.

I feel an awful lot like Frodo. I've spent my whole life pining for some sort of adventure, and now that it's upon me, I can't help but think of former comforts and want to put everything back the way it was. I have a new, incredible respect for soldiers. Though I will never be able to understand what they go through in battle, I now know a bit of what it's like to pack up and leave everything behind for what feels like ages and ages.

I'm trying to think less like Frodo and more like Sam Gamgee, focusing on what's to be done each day, and not what might go wrong, and not what I've left behind. I'm starting to feel more like Sam, anyway, after all the pastries I gobble.

Oh, you know, one more Frodo analogy: I, too, have a ring that I obsess over :3. Too bad it doesn't turn me invisible. Then I could sleep in Grammar class.

2 comments:

  1. LoTR! I'm a fan, too! This is such a cool comparison! Good thing you don't have to make a long trek to Mount Doom or something! Your last couple of lines were my favorite. I don't blame you for missing your friends and family, but at least you can still keep in touch, right? Keep "the precious" safe, but don't turn into Gollum, 'kay? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One ring to rule them all. All being your bridal party. And Zack. And everyone. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE BE ON BRIDEZILLAS! PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete