Sunday, February 27, 2011

Regarde-Jésus!

French children are precious. They are positively bursting with cuteness. Because of that, I get the vibe that they get spoiled, and that probably explains why all the teenagers I see look like my mom's worst nightmare (though I don't think the rebellious/obnoxious trend carries over into university students; all of La Catho's French students seem pretty chill).

One of Mme's younger sons was here with his wife and two children last night, and they slept next door to my room. I woke up this morning to "PAPAAAAAAAAAAAA!" "MAMAAAAN!" which would have made my ears bleed in English at 8:30am on a Sunday, but in French was really adorable. I saw the littlest grandbaby, and he was cuter than a speckled pup.

In church this morning, I sat behind a little family with three kids, one 1 year old, one 2 year old, and one 3-4 year old, and they were like kittens sneezing in a field of flowers with their little hoods tucked in around their chubby cheeks and tiny shoes sticking out of big, fluffy buntings. French parents seem to think their children will freeze to death at any temperature below 60 degrees Fahrenheit, and I think that also explains why French teenagers insist on dressing so scantily.

The oldest boy was coloring in a Bible coloring book, his little sister was trying to help him, and the baby was scooting across the chapel by sitting on one cheek and using her left foot like an oar. During the service, the 4 year old holds up a rainbow colored Jesus and whisper-shouts "REGARDE-JESUS!" to his mom. (look at Jesus!)

There was also an older boy of about 12 who was helping pass offering plates. He was dressed really snazzily, kind of a European private-school-weekend-chique, and he very obviously had Down syndrome. I noticed, though, that everybody in the church treated him just like any other kid, and when he got turned around on the rows, somebody would reach out to him and gently turn him to the right direction. During the 'Paix du Christe," where everyone shakes hands, I think he covered half the sanctuary, including me. But unlike Americans, who get very awkward and embarrassed at other people's actions, French people seem to take everything in stride, and no one seemed uncomfortable that he was wandering around the church shaking hands during the sermon. I like French people very much.

CASTLE NEWS: I saw Azay-le-Rideau, Chenonceau, and Chambord this weekend. I will post pictures from each of the lovely places (Chenonceau being the best) under "Faux-Pas" at the top of my blog.

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Hope the children don't feel too stuffy! Where are those pictures?

    ReplyDelete