Monday, February 7, 2011

La Catho

I cannot find the apostrophe, or I would tell you that I am updating my blog from school. I would say: bonjour1 Iù, updqting ,y blog fro, school1 the keyboqrd is qll zrong here:

or, the keyboard is all wrong here. I am displeased. So much for a free CIDEF computer lab; the m, a, z, q, w, comma, and period are all in new places. You have to press shift to enter a period. Typing has become, quite recently, a mental challenge, albeit a fun one. At first I thought it was some sort of prank; I would not put French college students above a keyboard switching prank, except I dont think they have the technological capacity. Not having an apostrophe is really bugging me. Where did they hide it!?

oh, it's where the 4 is.


So I placed Supèrieur in my placement test, the very top. But before you say "hooray Leah!" join me in sorrow that I was given almost zero instruction on how to pick classes, and all of my girlfriends were given differing levels of advice and timelines from their professors. I will never again complain about UNCA's wonderful, user friendly course catalog.

BUT it has been a good day, and I like my school, and I like my professors, and I still love Angers. Things are just different is all.

The only downside of today, other than a mild tummy ache, is that I overheard another American kid trying to explain to a Japanese student that Southern Americans talk like they're stupid and that's where all of America's racists are. Obnoxious. He's in the computer lab now, too. I think I'll go ask him why New York, Boston, and Chicago have such wonderful reputations for being friendly, welcoming places for people to live. I think I'll also ask him why, if it's not okay to pick on all people of a certain ethnic group, it's okay to pick on all people of a certain cultural group.

My first 'trial' class (socio cultural studies) starts at 14h30, or in 24 minutes. Hope the Super Bowl was fun!

2 comments:

  1. What a confusing keyboard, and how unfortunate for you -- As if registering for classes isn't enough of a pain already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about the keyboards you use, but quite a few of them can be switched over to the American version by pressing alt-shift simultaneously. Try it... it can't hurt!

    ReplyDelete