Sunday, January 23, 2011

Cheeseburgers, Country, and a 9mm Taurus

Maybe it's because I'm leaving soon and I want to stock up on Americana, or maybe it's just the best stress relief South Eastern North Carolina offers, but yesterday my dad and I went out in style.

We drove to Fayetteville, NC, next door to mega-fort Ft. Bragg, for some indoor target shooting. For an unheated, 35 degree range, it was crowded. We shot off two boxes of ammunition, not a terrible lot (but then again, I wasn't paying), in 15 round magazines that would make my more liberal auntie flutter her hands. I felt much better afterwards, as I had spent the morning trying to keep down breakfast. France doesn't make me nervous, but the gnawing idea that as soon as I leave some terrible tragedy will occur back home does.
Lunch was a monster cheeseburger decked out with fried onions, probably my last for a while. I will do my absolute best to avoid American food in France, unless I cook it myself, or unless I've just had more Croque Monsieurs than I can stand and want some real beef like they grow in God's Country.
I also stocked up on two new albums, Emotionalism by the Avett Brothers, and an EXCELLENT find: the Secret Sisters (self-titled). I should have more than enough folk/country to stave off homesickness. Here's what I'll be slooshying when I feel melancholy on my 8 hour plane ride Tuesday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5RhOL7MYfg

1 comment: