Sunday, June 12, 2011

A Wee Cheeky Tour

Just back from a 5 day HAGGiS Adventures tour, woot! I want to upload lots and lots of photos for you, but my current hostel in Edinburgh is seriously, seriously ghetto. I'm afraid the computer will eat my memory card. Glad I'm only staying one night and I'm leaving early in the morning.

The tour was super sweet; we went all the way up to the Orkney Isles, staying in Inverness along the way. Saw some of Scotland's many (many, many, many) war memorials, including Culloden Battlefield and Glencoe. Saw a few puffins and seals in Orkney, Loch Ness (but no Nessie) earlier today, and last night did some serious Highland dancing in a place called Hootananny's in Inverness. I hadn't realized how close traditional Scottish music and bluegrass really are.

Tonight, I'll be meeting back up with two Canadian friends I made on the trip to try haggis for dinner. I'm a wee bit excited. Tomorrow I leave for Carmichael, where internet may be hard to come by. We shall see. In any event, I plan on finding a phone recharge card tonight.

Before I sign off, something I've noticed that's pretty ubiquitous in each and every country I've been to: not McDonald's, not Starbucks, not even Coca Cola. Claire's. Claire's, the little girls cheap nickel-plated accessory store where I spent approximately 1/4 of my developing years. There was on in Angers, Paris, Dublin, Brussels, Edinburgh, and I think Rome, too. They are everywhere.

I also want, before I sign off, to introduce my American compatriots to the Dyson Air Blade, a fantastic invention for swiftly drying one's hands:
http://www.dysonairblade.co.uk/

pretty nifty.

No comments:

Post a Comment